Monday, May 5, 2014

A Review of 'Love's Labour's Lost' by William Shakespeare

"Love's Labour's Lost is one of William Shakespeare's early comedies, believed to have been written in the mid-1590s for a performance at the Inns of Court before Queen Elizabeth.  It follows the King of Navarre and his three companions as they attempt to foreswear the company of women for three years of study and fasting, and their subsequent infatuation with the Princess of Aquitaine and her ladies.  In an untraditional ending for a comedy, the play crosses with the death of the Princess's father, and all weddings are delayed for a year.  The play draws on themes of masculine love and desire, reckoning and rationalization, and reality versus fantasy."

I had to laugh when I started reading the introduction to the Kittredge edition of this play.  It said something along the lines of "This play is known for having no plot and too many puns."  Oh boy... I knew I was in trouble.

I had a hard time getting through this book.  Part of it was how some of the characters spoke and part of it was due to having virtually no plot.  Sure, I laughed at a few puns.  The characters would play off something that the other said and it would be amusing, but in the end I thought, "What are they doing?  What did that accomplish?"

I don't have a lot to say other than I understand why I was never taught this play in school or ever heard of this play being taught.  As a teacher in training, I'd definitely skip over this one.

I give 'Love's Labour's Lost':
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!