Friday, January 5, 2018

A Review of 'Ms. Marvel: Vol. 1' by G. Willow Wilson

Please note: this is a book I read in 2017.  Due to starting a new job, I kept up in reading but fell behind in blogging.  Reviews for 2018 reads will begin after the remaining 2017 reviews are posted.  Thank you for your patience!

"Marvel Comics presents the new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation!

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City-- until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts.  But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel?  Teenager?  Muslim?  Inhuman?  Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm!  When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them as well.  Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts?  Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear?  Kamala has no idea, either.  But she's comin' for you, Jersey!

It's history in the making from acclaimed writer G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo) and beloved artist Adrian Alphona (RUNAWAYS)!"

I remember seeing the cover to this a long time ago and wanted to get it for my student teaching classroom, but I don't think it ever arrived.  I don't think I expected this book to be a graphic novel (which in hindsight seems silly...).

I'll be short: I LOVE this book.  I love that we're not continuing with the white male savior complex that just litters the superhero comic book world.  Now we have a young woman of color who is coming to turn this entire world on its head.  Kamala is a young woman with passions of her own (especially comic books!) and family obligations and traditions that she pushes against as she struggles to find her identity (even before she acquired these special gifts).  There are so many elements that she has to think about that other super heroes who came before her just don't seem to need to think about.

This is a story that draws you in right away and keeps you.  I so can't wait to read Volume 2 and see what happens next!

I give 'Ms. Marvel: Vol. 1':
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!