Wednesday, July 8, 2020

3 1/2 Years of Bullet Journaling!

I took a look back at my previous posts and realized that 3 1/2 years ago (so, January 2017), I started my first bullet journal!  I got a really cheap lined journal from Target which fell apart after a couple of months (and that might be a generous estimate) because I wanted to make sure that I would stick with this hobby/practice before investing in a more expensive notebook.  Little did I know that I'd stick with this practice for this long!  I love looking back at my old journals to see how they've changed over time, since bullet journal set-ups are meant to change with you and your changing needs.  Here's a look at my 2019 bullet journals!

Usually I use two Leuchtterm 1917 journals over the course of a year (even on years when I'm able to travel and I journal a lot).  My green journal held eight months and lasted me until August 2019 and my wine-colored journal somehow managed to hold nine months in it and lasted me almost halfway through 2020!  My planning style tends to be simplistic.  The way the bullet journal system is supposed to work is that you create weeks and collections as you go, but I don't tend to do that.  I prefer to set up an entire month at a time and I don't really add collections other than monthly memories after my weekly and daily spreads.  It's just easier to handle, especially during the school year when I typically don't have a lot of downtime, even during non-working hours.  During the summer though or when something really big happens in my life, that can change and I do a bit more journaling.

To the right, I have an example of one of the journal spreads I did while on my trip to Utah.  I included pictures that I printed with my HP Sprocket, which has been an incredible tool for me.  I was worried about the cost and if I would use it enough, but I actually print small pictures pretty regularly, so it was worth it!  I just love how my journal pages are really enhanced.  I love returning to these pages long after I have finished the trip in question.  It's a fun aesthetic!

During my travels, I didn't want to totally give up my to-do lists, so I adapted them instead.  I used that space to list what we did that day, rather than writing down a pre-planned list.  But I would also use that space as a traditional to-do list for the most essential things.  For example, on our Utah trip, we spent the night in a few different places.  So the night before, I would make a list of what needed to be done prior to vacating that space.  What needed to be cleaned?  Did I need to remember to pack anything in the morning that couldn't be packed that night?  When were we trying to walk out the door in the first place?  Then I would add in what we did that day next to my to-do list.  It was very helpful to have that.  I also had a page with my packing list.  This packing list was most useful prior to leaving on the trip (any trip, not just this one), but it was also something I could refer back to on the trip if I thought that I might be missing something.  These journals were not the first ones to have packing lists, but rather I carried that over from a slightly earlier one.  It's a nice practice to have when preparing for a trip.

In addition to doing journal spreads when I have more time, I also used the space to draw diagrams to help me plan and also to take notes.  For me, I like to write down what I'm hearing during professional development or anything like that so I can take my time processing that information.  The trouble is, if I put those notes in a loose leaf notebook or on a separate piece of paper, I will never find that paper again until I sit down and go through things.  If I get to that point, the notes aren't useful anymore.  So when I can, I prefer to put them in my bullet journal because that's where every other important piece of written information I need is kept.  It's all in one place and it feels a lot more useful.  Between my last bullet journal post and this one, I have created a couple different floor plans.  The one pictured is how I wanted to set up my classroom for this past school year, but I have also drawn floor plans of my living room because I desperately wanted a change in my apartment.  It was easier to visualize things this way rather than moving furniture a million times and hoping one of those combinations would work.  I haven't really done floor plans in my journals up until now, so this was a cool change.  It's one of the only pages that I keep in pencil rather than going over it in pen.  That way it can be a working document and it can still look relatively neat.

These past couple journals, I have really appreciated that it turned into an artistic expression.  With the printed pictures and stickers, yes, but also with coloring and painting as well.  And washi tape.  So much washi tape...






A lot of the art I created or pulled together found a home on the intro pages for a new month or at the start of the new year or at the start of a new bullet journal.  This is breaking from the original bullet journal method pretty severely, but the artistic aspect is what makes this journal feel more like mine.  

My calendar page is now pulling a lot more weight because it's not just a record of what is coming up in the month, but it's a place to set goals and reflect a tiny bit as well.  I have a space to write down big tasks (or parts of bigger goals), which can help inform what I choose to do in a week, a record of books that I finished reading, and a place to write down things that are getting me excited for the month.  They're things that I find help set me up for a positive start to a month.  I also have a quote to set the tone of the month, although sometimes I fill that in long after the fact.  But it does help the spread feel complete. 

I'm at a point where I feel comfortable with my bullet journaling style, but who knows!  Anything can happen and anything can change.  Especially with not knowing how this coming school year will go, big changes could be on the horizon that I haven't even considered yet.  Eventually (in a year or so), I want to start grad school and that will make an impact on how I plan. 

Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!