Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Review of 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro

I know, I know... "It's about time, Jude!"
"From Book Prize-winning author Kazuo Kshiguro comes a devastating new novel of innocence, knowledge, and loss.

As children, Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy have reentered her life, and for the first time she is beginning to look back at their shared past and understand just what it is that makes them so special-- and how the gift will shape the rest of their time together.  Suspenseful, moving, beautifully atmospheric, Never Let Me Go is another classic by the author of The Remains of the Day."
In a word: Stunning.

I finished this book just today (I was supposed to finish about a week ago, but... eh, too late to turn back now) and if I could cry during sad books or movies, I would have been balling.  I'm really glad that this was a discussion book, otherwise I probably would not have realized the full magnitude of the sadness of this book.

This book is romantic, it's... slightly historical, but not too much.  It's a little bit scientific, but it doesn't go in depth when explaining certain processes (I'll tell you a little later, but I'll put a spoiler tag.  Seriously, if you know about the students of Hailsham, everything will make so much more sense.  It did for me).  This book is more for those that like reading romance novels, sad novels, controversial novels... anything like that, this book is for you.

Now it's spoiler time.  Don't read any further if you want to discover everything for yourself.  If you don't mind being spoiled, read ahead and the book will make a lot more sense.

SPOILER

The children of Hailsham are all clones.  Their "possible" is their original.  This whole story is based on the central question of "Are clones really human?"

This is the most amazing book I've ever read.  It's touched my soul like no other book has to date (aside from Harry Potter, maybe). 

I give 'Never Let Me Go':
Thanks for reading!

--Jude

P.S. I have a few more sad books to read and then there'll be books about food.  Or sad books about food.  I certainly didn't plan it this way, but now you kind of know what to expect soon!

I apologize for not posting this review yesterday.  Funny story: early yesterday morning (like, 2:30 am) I woke up and I decided to finish the three papers that I needed to turn in in twelve hours.  I finished two of them and then my power cord for my laptop broke.  I was running on a battery that was only going to last another hour-- my computer is about six years old and I haven't replaced the battery since I initially bought it, so that's why it doesn't last very long.  So, I'm using my dad's computer to keep on blogging and keeping up with the various other computer-related things until Amazon sends my new power cord (yes!  Amazon.com is amazing and I'm only just beginning to discover it's awesomeness!).

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved this book too! What is it about Japanese authors these days? I love all their books! (And I'm a fellow pottermaniac as well. :D)
    I'm at http://www.fictionflaire.blogspot.com/. Hop by if you can :)
    Happy X'mas in advance!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!