Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Review of 'Journey' by Aaron Becker

"A lonely girl draws a magic door on her bedroom wall and through it escapes into a world where wonder, adventure, and danger abound.  Red marker in hand, she creates a boat, a balloon, and a flying carpet that carry her on a spectacular journey toward an uncertain destiny.  When she is captured by a sinister emperor, only an act of tremendous courage and kindness can set her free.  Can it also lead her home and to her heart's desire?

With supple line, luminous color, and nimble flights of fancy, author-illustrator Aaron Becker launches an ordinary child on an extraordinary journey toward her greatest and most exciting adventure of all..."

I recently went to a book event on my campus.  They presented on all kinds of books, ones meant for those from elementary school to senior high.  I did not anticipate to leave with two children's books, especially since I want to be either a middle school or a high school teacher.  Journey is one of the children's books and The Dark is another, which I will review at a later time.

One thing that I love about this book is that there are no words.  You have to put your own words to the story.  The other thing that I loved-- and really, what pushed me to get this book in the first place-- was the illustrations.  Here, just take a peek:

I want to decorate the bedroom of my future child just like this forest.  Do you blame me?

A third thing that I really like about this book is that it's a nod to Harold and the Purple Crayon (he even shows up in this book!).  I think that Harold was one of my favorite books of all time when I was young (along with The Greatest Picnic in the World, which I once had memorized), so this is an awesome and wonderful companion to Harold's story.  And best of all, children can narrate the story as they imagine.  I think it's a good exercise for those little ones.

This is a book that children and adults alike should absolutely pick up and look at.  It's beautiful and wonderful and I think that it's impossible for anyone to hate.

I can't wait to read this to my kids when they come into existence.

I give 'Journey':

Thanks for Reading!  Let me know if you want to hear more about children's books.  I'm considering reading more for this blog.

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!