Monday, February 13, 2012

Thoughts On Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day!  And I'm not just saying that because of the Boyfriend.  It's a day that celebrates all kinds of love, whether it's directed at your best friend whom you've known for eleven years or a significant other that you have decided to commit to on a different level than just friendship.

It's a day to turn to that person you've taken for granted (it's quite possible) and remind them that you care about them, you appreciate everything they do, and that you're not afraid to show it.

What I dislike about Valentine's Day is the hate that comes with it.  The fact that a handful of people call it "Singles Awareness Day."  It doesn't have to be about not having a boyfriend or a girlfriend.  It can be celebrating your mom, dad, and grandparents all on the same day!  It can be celebrating your best friends for sticking with you through something difficult.  You can celebrate the existence of your pet, who loves you enough to sleep at the end of the bed and keep your toes warm (or right next to you in order to keep you company).

Something else that I dislike about Valentine's Day is how it has turned into another consumer holiday and such a lot of fuss too.  Couples proposing to each other, rushing around trying to get the last minute flowers and cards, dinner reservations that were left unreserved until the last minute... perhaps you are familiar with what I'm talking about.  It's a little sad to me that a homemade card or a home cooked meal just doesn't cut it (in some cases).  The effort doesn't matter, only the monetary symbol at the end of the night.  It's sad...

So tomorrow, despite what Valentine's Day used to be or has become, I'm going to head to school, listen to a lot of Singing Telegrams all day long (now THAT'S effort!), give the Boyfriend a plate of pink vanilla-flavored cookies that I made him tonight, and go home to prepare for babysitting later.  I'll celebrate my Valentine's Day with "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" and "The Shawshank Redemption" over the weekend (I hope!) and it'll be awesome!

Happy Valentine's Day!

--Jude

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jude! I'm not a new follower, but I have been away from the book blogging world for a while now. I'm just popping by to reintroduce myself a bit to some of my favorite blogs and see what everyone's been up to. Your blog is looking as lovely as ever :)

    As far as Valentines Day goes, I agree with you. I just hate how commercialized the whole thing has become, though. It starts to feel like just another manufactured holiday for people to make money! When you think about it, every day should be Valentines Day, and people should never take the ones they love for granted. In a perfect world, I guess.

    Anyway, I hope to see you around the blogosphere, dear. Don't be a stranger!

    Lilly @ BookLungs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilly! It's good to see you back you back on the Blogosphere! And thank you! I'm glad that you still like my blog :)

      That would be wonderful if every day was Valentine's Day, but like you said, In a perfect world...

      Have a lovely Friday!

      --Jude

      Delete

I love your comments! Comment away!