Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Review of 'Girl, 15, Charming But Insane' by Sue Limb (Audio Book)

"Girl, 15, charming but insane, huge bum, massive ears, seeks... well, seeks Ben Jones, but failing that, seeks large burka-type garment to cover her deformities.

I'm trying to draft a personals ad, but instead I'm slowly losing the will to live.  I'm young, creative, only slightly mental.  I'm really quite attractive, when not standing next to my blindingly gorgeous best friend, Flora.  I think I look like Catherine Zeta-Jones... but my ex-friend Fred seems to think I look like Mike Myers in drag.  And gorgeous Ben Jones--well, gorgeous Ben Jones doesn't seem to think anything about me.  At all.

With her hilariously active imagination, Jess Jordan has a tendency to complicate her life, but now, as she's finally getting closer to her crush, she's determined to keep things under control.  Readers will fall in love with Sue Limb's optimistic heroine in this uproarious tribute to the kind of insanity that, strangely enough, can keep a girl sane."

I literally laughed out loud on a number of occasions whilst listening to this.  It's just the way Sue Limb puts words together (and usually in the most unexpected combinations) that makes nearly everything Jess says funny.  Not only that, but she's put in the most outrageous of situations from being filmed in the bathroom to cleaning up the flood that her granny started.

This book (audio book) basically deals with the life of the not-so-typical life of an average fifteen-year-old that wants to be a stand-up comedian.

Sue Limb's characters are distinctive from each other and very well-developed.  They create the story and it feels like she (the author) does not have any part in the creation part of this.  It's super cool!

I feel like I can't really tell you more in this review without babbling and gushing (a little) or giving something from the story away, so I'll conclude the actual review there and get right to the rating.

Sue Limb really knows how to create a great story that'll keep you interested for ages.  British humor is a wonderful thing.  I give 'Girl, 15, Charming But Insane':

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!