Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Review of 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis.  But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, 'The Fault in Our Stars' is award-winning-author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love."

Like many Nerdfighters around the world, I was doing a happy dance the day this book came out.  Not two or three days later, I received my copy and devoured it as fast as I could while simultaneously juggling health and everything else (I finished forever, by the way!).  I'm going to try and go forth with this review as spoiler free as possible, because it's my understanding that the book hasn't been released in other countries just yet.

One thing I absolutely love about John Green's writing is the characters.  They're always so intelligent and humorous and people that you would love to be friends with in real life.  Hazel, Gus, and Isaac are no exception to this trend.  Gus is basically my fictional boyfriend.  He's absolutely perfect-- he's not a pervert that wants to get in everyone's pants.  Despite his situation (ooh vague statements...) he's surprisingly upbeat.

"The Fault in Our Stars" was the first book I've ever cried during.  Sure, there are a number of sad books that I have read, but none have moved me in such a way that real tears came to my eyes.  It was the heartbreaking lines that did it, mostly.  I desperately wish I could tell you which ones, but I don't want to spoil it and I feel like those lines would do just that.  Those lines and scenes were just beautiful in the worst way possible (if that makes any sense at all).

It's always really special when you feel like you know the author personally-- as a friend.  I've watched The Vlogbrothers on YouTube for some time now and through those videos, I've gotten to know both Hank and John Green a little.  I feel proud when either of them are mentioned for the great things they do.  It's like feeling pride in an IRL friend.

"The Fault in Our Stars" is a beautifully written stand-alone novel that teens and adults alike can read and fall in love with.

I give "The Fault in Ours Stars":
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

P.S. It's so exciting having a book signed by one of your favorite authors!

1 comment:

  1. Now that I finished "The Fault in our Stars", I learned that true love lasts forever no matter what. The book was amazing and I would recomend it to people who love a great love story with heartache and tradegy icorperated in that shows people the true meaning of love toward another human being. I fell apart when I couldnt bear the feeling of sorrow that the narrator felt when the tradegy arose. And I must admit I cryed. But I still would say this my favorite book of all time.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!