Friday, July 9, 2010

A Review of 'Between Mom and Jo' by Julie Anne Peters

“How can you choose between two parents?

Nick has a three-legged dog named Lucky, some pet fish, and two moms who think he’s the greatest kid ever. And he happens to think he has the greatest Moms ever, but everything changes when his birth mom and her wife, Jo, start having marital problems. Suddenly, Nick is in the middle, and instead of having two Moms to turn to for advice, he has no one.

Nick’s emotional struggle to redefine his relationships with his parents will remind readers that a family’s love can survive even the most difficult times.”

That’s what the dust jacket says.

I thought this was a great read. I liked that Nick was actually in touch with his feelings to a point where he could talk about them (which is a good thing, because not only is he one of the main characters, he is also the narrator/POV). It’s nice to see that in a male character, because in most of the literature I get my hands on, it’s the female character that is weepy and an emotional wreck. So way to turn the table on us… kudos!

This novel also took place in a unique situation. I’m sure at least a handful of us has picked up at least one book at the local bookstore/library where a divorce or separation was occurring. I have, quite honestly, never come across a book where two women were having problems with their marriage. It gave me something to think about. It made me realize (or make clearer) that these women could have easily been your typical married couple having problems. So it made me solidify my opinion that just because your gender preference is different, doesn’t mean you yourself are completely different and are therefore unable to experience problems everyone else is familiar with. No, that’s not the case at all. For this, it made me appreciate this novel all the more.

I’ll be honest, it took me about two tries to get into the story. I can’t really put my finger on why that is, but it’s not that important I guess. After that little stumbling block there, I simply couldn’t put it down. I highly recommend it!

I would like to warn you, future readers of this book, there is some language in it, so it’s up to you if you think you can handle it. But other than that, there really isn’t anything graphic going on. Enjoy!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!