Saturday, August 20, 2011

Friday Questions are Back!

Title is self-explanatory.  Let's move on!

TGIF, Follow Friday, and The Blog Hop are brought to you by Ginger @ GReads, Parajunkee, and Jennifer @ Crazy for Books (in that order).


Have you ever read a book and not wanted to review it?  Are some books too personal that we want to keep our thoughts our own?

I guess there are two examples to answer this question.  The first example is laziness.  If you've been following before, you might have noticed my sporadic reviews, promises to write everything, and then a humongous wall of reviews of many sorts.  

The second example of not wanting to post a review (it was written, but I wasn't sure if it would be offensive or not) is when I read books based on religion.  I'm fully conscious that many of my followers have different religious backgrounds and I don't ever want to impose my opinion on anyone that doesn't want to hear it.  When I read 'Godless,' I felt this way because I hated the dad in that book.  He kept trying to push Christianity on his son and he obviously wasn't interested, but he kept pushing any way.  I was so angry about that, and I'm pretty sure that anger made an appearance in my first draft of that review if not the final and I was worried about how people would respond to such feelings.  Eventually, I did end up posting it and those who commented were positive in their responses.  So, now I figure that since this is my blog and people come here to see what I think about certain books, I should just be honest.  

In a nutshell: there are books that are incredibly personal to the reader, but I think if you do end up reviewing them, you'll find that you're not the only one that thinks that way or that finds a personal memory they can attach to the story.

Excellent question!  That really made me think.

If you could write yourself a part in a book, what book would it be and what role would you play in that book?

I think it would be really cool to have a part in Harry Potter.  I wouldn't have a big part, like, I wouldn't kill off Hermione and take her place, but maybe something to scale with Neville Longbottom-- someone who lerks and helps out whenever they're useful, and then have the possibility of having an important part at the end.

What's the LONGEST book you've ever read?

Physically (as in the number of pages), the longest book I've ever read was probably somewhere in the Harry Potter series or the book I'm taking on now, 'The Other Boleyn Girl.'  

Mentally (as in what felt longest), was 'Storm of Iron,' because I could not tell what was going on, I didn't understand the Warhammer references, and it was just plain boring, which made it drag on forever and ever and ever.  It sucked.  I hate those kinds of books.

Thanks for stopping by!  If you'd like me to visit your website, leave your web address in the comments below and I'll try my best to get to you today!  I'll be working on a couple LONTEM Projects this weekend when I can, so for the most part, I should be online to come visit.

Have a lovely weekend!

--Jude

3 comments:

  1. omg! my answer is sooo similar to yours for both the follow friday and the longest book. BTW I LOVED the book the other Boleyn Girl (but thought the movie was terrible)!


    Trish - My Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed you're reading Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut. Great book that influenced some of my poetry that I wrote over 25 years ago. Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Your blog has received an award. To claim it, stop by http://misclisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!