Thursday, August 11, 2011

Movie Time! 'Water for Elephants'

"In this captivating Depression-era melodrama, impetuous veterinary student, Jacob Jankowski (Robert Pattinson) joins a celebrated circus as an animal caretaker but faces a wrenching dilemma when he's transfixed by angelic married performer, Marlena (Reese Witherspoon).  An affinity for elephants brings together the young pair, but the warmth between them sends Marlena's cruel husband, animal trainer August (Christoph Waltz), into a frightening fury."

I was quite impressed with how this movie was done.  I was sort of anticipating this movie to be... well, less than desirable.  But that wasn't the case.  I was concerned about the casting decision of Robert Pattinson.  Mostly because of the 'Twilight' movies.  But now it's been made plain to me that this guy isn't the problem in that series.  But I won't get into that now.  Robert Pattinson proved to me that he's capable of portraying very strong emotions-- I've always appreciated that in an actor.  In my head, Robert Pattinson has made a similar comeback to Zac Efron.  Efron had 'High School Musical,' but then moved on to movies like 'Charlie St. Cloud.'  Pattinson had 'Twilight' and moved onto greater films such as this one.

Reese Witherspoon was absolutely stunning, as always.  It was different seeing her outside of 'Legally Blonde.'  But she's such an amazing actor that it doesn't matter what part she plays, she just makes it amazing.

Stepping away from casting decisions, I was quite impressed with how certain scenes turned out.  Putting down one of Marlena's horses, the hotel room, August finding out what was going on between Jacob and Marlena... They were great!  They kept me engaged in the movie and I thought they fit well.  The director/writer wasn't just referring to the book the entire time.

I was a little disappointed that they left out parts that took place in the nursing home, including the part where another old guy claims that he used to carry water for the elephants in another big circus.  So anyone that hasn't read the book might be a little confused because the title doesn't seem to make a lot of sense with the rest of the movie without that scene, but then, I don't know how they would have fit it in otherwise.

Overall, there was very little I was actually disappointed in.  A very well-done movie!


Thanks for reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. I'm debating on whether or not to read the book first or watch the movie first. Either way I'm intrigued by your review! My sister saw this and thought it was pretty good too. Oh and good to know that Robert Pattinson isn't rubbish in this. He had me worried too. :P

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!