Monday, August 15, 2011

Movie Time! 'The Time Traveler's Wife'

"Due to a genetic disorder, handsome librarian Henry DeTamble (Eric Bana) involuntarily zips through time, appearing at various moments in the life of his true love, the beautiful artist Clare Abshire (Rachel McAdams).  Also starring Ron Livingston as Gomez, the soul-stirring romantic drama was adapted from the best-selling novel by Audrey Niffenegger by Bruce Joel Rubin, the screenwriter behind the beloved weepy 'Ghost.'"

What a beautiful film!

As of yet, I can't comment on how accurate this movie is compared to the book that shares the same title (fear not, I've recently acquired it, so that's in my reading cue).  But as a movie separated from the parent, it was splendid!

You must pay attention when watching this.  Henry jumps through time quite often and it's hardly ever in any kind of chronological order.  One moment, Clare is a young girl and the next she is a grown woman, upset because Henry has been missing in action for two weeks.

However difficult it was to keep up with where in time Henry was (of course this statement is relative to each person who sees the movie), it was easy to become attached to each of the characters.  Clare, when she wants nothing more than to bear Henry's child.  Henry as he struggles to keep up with where he is in time and take on a household as best as he can... their struggles are both relatable and not, but that hardly matters because all of their problems register on an emotional level.

But the movie wasn't all sad and not all the scenes were inconvenient (I'm thinking of when Henry travels).  There were also many parts where humor was brought in, particularly surrounding the wedding, and there were parts where is was quite suspenseful (again, the wedding, and towards the end of the movie).

Overall, a beautiful film that will appeal to those that love a good romance.


Thanks for reading!

--Jude

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie yet, because I want to read the book first. I guess I'm behind on both, huh? ;)

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachel Brooks!
    Thank you very much for stopping by and I'm glad you like what you see :) I will definitely stop by your page!

    --Jude

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!