So this is your first time ever doing something like this! How does it feel?
- Are you kidding? This is the best!
How are you feeling about this whole thing as a whole?
- I'm expecting it to get harder, quite honestly. I decided to break up my big goal of 30,000 words into 30 days. So far, 1,000 words a day is quite manageable.
- On top of that, it's really good to get back to writing. I've been editing 'Murder by Rulers' for quite some time, but that really isn't the same as writing. NaNoWriMo takes out all of the time there is for editing. The main goal is to just get words down on the page. It doesn't matter how crappy your story is (it will be crappy. John Green said so, and he's a published author. He should know). It's nice. I can't wait to go back and read this from start to finish... when I start editing :)
How do you make time for writing?
- Throughout the course of the day, I just kept my notebook out and whenever there was a lull in the class, I would scribble in a few sentences. When there was work that I needed to get done in class, I would put it to the side and do that and wait for the next moment that the teacher wasn't looking.
- I get my homework done really fast. I'm tempted to skip it, but I know that I'll suffer for that in more ways than one. I'm not going to do that. That's why I'm going to try and write more than the quota that I set for myself just in case there is a day where I really don't have time to sit down to write. Should that happen, hopefully I'll have the next 1,000 words and I'll be covered.
What sort of sucks about this process?
- I have the strong urge to edit and make sure everything that is based on real life is accurate. This might not be a problem for future NaNoNites, but it is for me. Luckily, it hasn't seemed to have tripped me up too much.
What is amazing about this process?
- All the wonderful support! I ended up texting my boyfriend for some ideas for a boy's name (I didn't need it yet, but I figure I'll probably get to the new character in about a day or two and at that point, I won't be able to think of a name. This way, I don't have to stop and think about that. While I was writing, he was sending me messages of support that made me smile and I really appreciated it!
Are you going to do more entries like this?
- You betcha. I was on another website and someone else is doing something like this. Even if no one else reads this, it's still feels right for me to do. It keeps my hands warm and moving too!
Did you meet your word count goal today?
- I exceeded it :)
If there is someone reading this and you have never done NaNoWriMo before, you are welcome to post a question in the comments section down below and I'll try my best to answer it. Likewise, if you're an old pro at this and you have some advice, I'm all ears!