Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Review of 'An Abundance of Katherines' by John Green

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge-Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove the Theorem of underlying Katherine predictability which will predict the future of relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl. Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.”

The cool thing about John Green’s books is that you definitely don’t have to read them more than once in order for you to remember everything about the books. That’s how it is for me, any way…

I never thought that I would like a book that relied on math to help move the story forward. It just goes to show you, we might not know ourselves as well as we think.

It was humorous that Colin had only ever dated girls named Katherine. Not Catherine, Katherine.

What really drew me in was the road trip that Colin went on. Road trips are so much fun! I’ve only ever been on a road trip with some friends from my church (we went to New Orleans). I like how you get to know everyone better just by driving around and talking to everyone. The people you meet and things you experience are life-changing.

John Green’s characters made me smile, laugh… generally sympathize with their emotions… sometimes on both sides of one problem.

‘An Abundance of Katherines’ was very well-written and highly enjoyable, even though the anagrams confused the heck out of me and even though I usually don’t enjoy math.

I give ‘An Abundance of Katherines’:

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!