Friday, December 3, 2010

A Review of 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' by Zora Neale Hurston

"Their Eyes Were Watching God is a celebration of black folk culture, of love between equals, of a woman's self-discovery. It is one of the few novels that successfully integrates folk expression and original fiction; the folk culture is not just a setting but a force in the story."
--Susan Blake, American Book Review

I was digging through my bookshelf looking for old books to review and I happened to stumble upon this one. I read it in tenth grade for my English class. I remember thinking that I wasn't going to like this book. The title triggered something in me that made me think that I was going to be preached to or this book was going to be like reading a sermon. However, my speculations were incorrect.

This story could be considered a romance, but it's much more than that. The men in Janie's life were older than she was. I was shocked that she would marry someone of that age (I won't go into too much detail because that will just ruin it for you).

Janie was a very enjoyable character. It was great to watch her mature and discover who she was exactly.

I found it easy to become attached to a majority of the characters in one way or another.

This was a very enjoyable book to read. I highly recommend it! In fact, I give it:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!