Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Review of 'Four Stupid Cupids' by Gregory Maguire

What makes boys fidget, girls sigh, and everyone a little loopy?

When four reckless mythical flying babies break loose from the ancient urn Fawn’s aunt sent her from Greece, the boys in Fawn’s class squirm in their seats—and the girls start scheming. With help from these cupids, the members of the all-girls Tattletales club could make this Valentine’s Day a memorable one for their heartbroken teacher, Miss Earth. Little do they know just how crazy Valentine’s Day will be, now that four cupids with rusty shooting skills are on the case!

It’s a book for a younger audience, but let me tell you, my copy has certainly been well-loved.

I found this book to be completely endearing as Miss Earth’s students try to get her to fall in love. You see, her first husband (or maybe it’s her fiancé) was run over by the Santa float in a parade. Tragic…

This book was also the opposite of how I remember elementary school (save for third and fifth grade, maybe). The boys and girls were not very nice to each other (I was going to use the word ‘vicious,’ but that’s not a very fitting word).

The cupids, Milos, Naxos, Kos, and Rhoda, were fun to read about as well!

Seeing as this book is short enough that anything more that I say could give it away, I will leave this review as it is. I give this book:

3 1/2 stars, actually.

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. what is the ending like? And what is the falling action?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!