Friday, December 24, 2010

A Review of 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' by Ann Brashares

I lied... one more review and then I'll stop for a few days.

Once there was a pair of pants. Just an ordinary pair of jeans. But these pants, the Traveling Pants, went on to do great things. This is the story of the four friends who made it possible.

Lena: Accompanies the Pants on their stay in Greece. But in a moment without any pants, she sparks a chain of events in which the person she suddenly distrusts most is herself.

Tibby: Invites the Pants to cameo in her suckumentary about the lameness of her hometown, then lends them to a kid who’s about to star in the most surprising scenes.

Bridget: In an act of Pants bravado, tries to sneak them onto a soccer field in Baja California… and hopes they’ll help her make a conquest of love.

Carmen: Is ashamed as the Pants witness her transformation from the saucy Carmen Carmeena into the wicked stepdaughter when her summer vacation doesn’t go as she planned.

Quirky, irreverent, and written from the heart, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is the story of four best friends, the biggest summer of their lives, and the magical pants that bring it all together… an extraordinary celebration of life, laughter, roots, and self-discovery.

This series is one of my favorites. There’s just something cool about having really close friends like this that makes me feel fuzzy inside. These girls—women—are so different from each other and it’s so cool seeing them come together and interact with the other, when they do.

Okay, I have a story to tell.

My friend turned probably eleven or twelve and she had a sleepover as her birthday party. We decided that we wanted to stay up as late as possible (which ended up being two in the morning, but technically 1:00 AM because it was day-light savings time). Until we all fell asleep, we started to talk about this book and then decided that we wanted to do something similar. We went through our clothes looking for ones that first looked cool and then second that fit every single one of us in the room. We finally found this tank top that made me think of something the lead singer of ‘Within Temptation’ would wear.

This song gives me goosebumps, by the way. I would kill to attend a concert such as this one.

I liked how this book was kind of split up into four stories. One for each girl. I found myself getting excited for certain chapters of the book—Lena’s for instance. I loved that her story was set in Greece and things that I have never experienced before. I think I was least excited about Carmen’s chapters mainly because she was angry a majority of the time. With good reason, granted, but you would think that she would eventually realize how much she was hurting everyone in the house just by being angry. I just found that I couldn’t relate to Carmen as well as the other characters.

This was a very well-developed first installment of the series. I liked watching them grow up and mature through each book. I won’t go into too many details though, because I do hope to review those in the future as well.

I give ‘Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants’:

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for Within Temptation! Although my favorite is probably "Stand My Ground"

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!