Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Review of 'Bridge to Terabithia' by Katherine Paterson

Jess Aarons’ greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. He’s been practicing all summer and can’t wait to see his classmates’ faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new girl boldly crosses over to the boys’ side of the playground and outruns everyone.

That’s not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable. Leslie has imagination. Together, she and Jess create Terabithia, a magical kingdom in the woods where the two of them reign as king and queen, and their imaginations set the only limits. Then one morning a terrible tragedy occurs. Only when Jess is able to come to grips with this tragedy does he finally understand the strength and courage Leslie has given him.

Once again, I saw the movie before I read the book. Oops.

This is probably a middle grade book because of the age of the characters, Leslie and Jess.

My personal favorite character was Leslie. For this reason, I almost cried at the end (the only problem is, I don’t cry during books or movies unless an animal dies. No joke).

Side-note: Is there anyone out there that can’t cry during sad books and movies no matter how much you want to? Resume review.

I could relate to Leslie pretty well I think. She’s a creative spirit (and I like to think that I am too). She likes to make up stories and she makes everything come to life (I’m so jealous. That’s hard to do well).

Jess seems like the kind of guy everyone should want to be friends with. I feel like I shouldn’t be able to relate to him on a personality level, but I do. He’s soft-spoken (except when talking to Leslie or his teacher, Miss Edmunds). He’s also a creative spirit, but in a different way.

This book made me jealous because these two very well-developed characters are able to create a world and make it real to themselves—and it’s so cool!

Overall, I give this book:

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!